The Sylvan Debating Club was founded in 1868 and has been in continuous operation since then.
More specifically (in words taken from the official history) “The inception of the Club was discussed on top of one of the Green Atlas buses which ran from the City through Baker Street and the Abbey Road to the Princess of Wales Hotel in St. John’s Wood. A conversation took place between Mr. Alfred Harmsworth and one of the other Founders and resulted in the first Meeting being held at the aforementioned Hotel on January 6th, 1868.”
And thus the Sylvans (as they became known) have continued for over 6 reigns and 150 years right to the present day, giving pleasure, practice and a voice to those who “desired the opportunity of giving vent in speech to their opinions on every subject interesting to man”.
Two histories of the Sylvan Debating Club have been written over the years, one from 1931 which focused on the leading personalities of the club, and one from 1968 which charts the first 100 years of the club’s activities.
The Trustees of the Sylvan Debating Club are The Lord Harmsworth and Mr Donald Leon Soon.